The federal Partnership for Sustainable Communities has developed six livability principles to encourage more sustainable economies, environments, and social opportunities and to guide regions in their planning efforts.
- Provide more transportation choices
- Promote equitable, affordable housing
- Enhance economic competitiveness
- Support existing communities
- Coordinate and leverage federal policies and investment
- Value communities and neighborhoods
Our three-year regional visioning process translated these general principles into distinct goals that make sense and are achievable for the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We identified many long-term goals that stakeholders and residents have for our region and included those objectives and recommendations in the final Plan For Opportunity document.